Friday, July 9, 2010

INKlination

When it comes to tattoos, there are usually two common and opposing viewpoints: The 'it's body art and therefore a form of self expression' view and the 'your-body-is-a-temple therefore it's a form of self-mutilation' perspective. As someone who has one tattoo (and two more in mind), I for the most part share the former opinion.
Of course, that's just my general opinion.
I actually tend to be somewhat conservative when it comes to skin ink. I prefer small, discrete or subtle designs on myself. I don't mind large or highly visible pieces on others as long as they are somewhat in sync with my core belief.  I believe that if you are going to get a tattoo then it should be a well thought out decision (I'm not an advocate of 'drunk' tattoos). It is a permanent alteration (ok, barring laser removal) to your body and it should at least have enduring value since you will bear it (or them) for a lifetime (again, unless of course you decide to zap it off).
Though I consider some tattoos works of art and/or forms of self expression one only has to google 'ugly' or 'stupid' tattoos to understand the arguments being made by those in the anti-tattoo camp (and also to find themselves cringing, face-palming and occasionally exclaiming 'wtf?!'). I hope I'm not coming across as judgmental for I do realize that like anything of a personal nature, tattoos are subjective. This means that maybe I will never be able to really grasp the true depth and extreme significance of someone's favourite beer logo emblazoned across their chest. But  at the end of the day,  my or anyone else's opinion aside, it is still their body and choice.

Anyway that was my introduction to this feature on my blog. As the (really bad) title implies, it deals with tattoos. I'll feature images of them in pairs sometimes with objects which catch my fancy. It usually will be fashion related (i.e. jewellery or clothes) but don't neglect to expect random objects now and again or even solely tattoo posts. Regardless, it will all add up somehow, never fear.

                           That's all for now and don't forget to shine on, you crazy diamonds.







ph 1-4: via various tumblrs (which I unfortunately forgot to source) on  www.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment